NYC Marathon Training: Why I alternate between my home gym, the road & sweaty, dirty trail runs

Originally published at: NYC Marathon Training: Why I alternate between my home gym, the road & sweaty, dirty trail runs | Get Up Earlier

Join me as I share my 14-year journey in the woods trail running, hiking, rucking, pushups, squats, and how it enhances my NYC Marathon training. From the privacy of the woods to the intense physical and mental challenges, discover how trail running and other outdoor workouts can transform your fitness routine. Whether you’re sprinting uphill, doing pushups, air squats, or simply soaking in the natural beauty, there’s something truly special about exercising in nature. Tune in and see why I encourage you to leave the gym behind and embrace the great outdoors as part of your marathon training.

Key Moments:

00:00:00 – Introduction to Trail Running and Outdoor Workouts
“Running trails is a really cool thing to do. I’ve been doing it for probably 14 years now.”

00:00:20 – Privacy and Psychotic Workouts
“I like to take that kind of like next level psychotic, dirty, sweaty thing that I do and sometimes bring it out into the woods.”

00:00:42 – The Challenges of Trail Running
“You have to be mindful of every step… the downhill runs are crazy because you really have to pay attention to every single step.”

00:01:03 – Cognitive Benefits of Trail Running and Hiking
“It’s actually quite awesome to not just be stuck on the same plan, the same path, and kind of have a mindless thing going.”

00:01:21 – Embracing Nature and Weather
“While you’re out there getting this amazing workout, you’re getting fresh air and some sunlight and it’s just great.”

00:01:59 – Why You Should Quit the Gym
“It’s just another reason why I can say, quit the gym because you can go out there in the woods and get a much better workout.”

NYC Marathon 2024 Training:
I am keeping a daily training log of my 2024 NYC Marathon Training here:
https://learn.getupearlier.com/t/nyc-marathon-2024-training-diet-log-tips-and-information-april-1-nov-3-tcsnycmarathon/149

I am also there to answer any questions or help in any way.

This is video one of a lengthy series, stay tuned and good luck with the running!

Ultimately, I am training for life or as Peter Attia @PeterAttiaMD calls it the “centenarian decathlon”. Every day, working toward a goal of enhancing and maintaining strength, muscle mass, endurance, mobility and flexibility to be a kick-ass 85+ year old.

Michael Baker
e-RYT Yoga Teacher, CHC, 25 Year #WFH Digital Pro
Actively training for the NYC Marathon & “Centenarian Decathlon”

www.GetUpEarlier.com
www.MichaelBakerDigital.com

#Run #Lift #Hike #Yoga #Strength #Flexibility #Nutrition #nycmarathon #tcsnycmarathon