NYC Marathon 2024 training & diet log, tips and information. April 1 - Nov 3 #tcsnycmarathon

8/7

Power day with some weights. I worked up to 225lbs x 20 reps as seen here:

I also worked back with some loaded pulldowns drop set and I did deadlifts with just 190 for 2 sets of 10.

8/8

The swampy heat is lifting. I felt it for the first time this morning. I did another trainer heading back into the high 7’s per mile. I can now get back to the SPEED rather than just survival because of the heat.
strava4222868807398960214

8/9

Great strength session with flat dumbbells all the way up to 100lbs x 7 reps

50lbs warmup (15-20 slow reps)
80lbs x 12
100lbs x 7
80lbs x 11

Followed this with a nasty arms sequence. My bicep is 99%.
Intertwined Shrugs 135x30 - 190x 20 - 230lbs x 16 strict

8/10

70 minute Bikram in 110 degrees

8/11

Vitamin Sea Day

Day at East Matunuck beach hitting the waves with my boys, eating some clean protein, taking in the sun. Much needed “day off” even though I sat down for a total at 12 minutes all day.

8/12

Just a quick 6 mile trainer prepping for a mid-week big run. Started the dreaded carb load, gearing up for a 20 miler. Protein super high today 250g. All lean sources.

I also hit a powerful mid-afternoon strength session noting my bicep is 100%. No upper body muscle issues!

Went up to incline barbell 185x7, 185x5, 135 x failure, 95 x failure.
Isometric pullup holds x 2 30+ seconds
Back pulldowns with straight bar x 3
Nasty triceps drop set.

8/14

17.5 miles on a Wednesday! I got out nice and early to avoid the heat, it still nipped me a bit toward the end but overall it was cool enough, nice aside from the fact that I got up at 4am and got on the road at 5:45am :sweat_smile:

I’m feeling really good about the cool weather training and Fall kicking in!

One thing I really want to point out though is CALORIES. It’s still something people don’t understand regarding weight loss and exercise. In this run and the activity of this day I “burned” 3500 calories more or less.

This is a significant number because 3500 calories equals 1lb of body fat. So my point is in this one day I ran 17.5 miles and then actively moved around for another 1.4 miles. This is an insane amount of activity and physical output that will take me, a person training for a marathon, several days to recover.

This output equals 1lb of weight loss. There are other nuances here and it’s not exact but it’s just an example of how much exercise is really needed to lose fat or weight in general.

It’s fully unsustainable.

If you go out and bang back 5 or 6 pieces of pizza, 3 or 4 beers and any type of fried app and / or desert you will hit 3500 calories. That’s how easy it is to get calories in. (See breakdown below)

So if you don’t pay attention to calories, no matter how hard you workout, you will not ever lose weight. It’s mathematically impossible.

The approximate calorie count for the meal you described is as follows:

1. 6 pieces of pizza:
  • Depending on the type (cheese, pepperoni, etc.), one slice of pizza typically ranges from 250 to 400 calories.
  • Total: ~1,500 to 2,400 calories
  1. 4 traditional beers:
  • A standard beer is about 150 to 200 calories.
  • Total: ~600 to 800 calories
  1. Fried appetizer:
  • Common fried appetizers (like mozzarella sticks, onion rings, etc.) range from 600 to 1,000 calories.
  • Total: ~600 to 1,000 calories
  1. Dessert:
  • Depending on the type (cake, ice cream, etc.), desserts can range from 300 to 700 calories.
  • Total: ~300 to 700 calories

Approximate Total:

• Low end: 3,000 calories
  • High end: 4,900 calories

This is a rough estimate and could vary based on specific ingredients, portion sizes, and preparation methods.

8/15

70 minute 110 degree Bikram yoga class to help recovery!

I generally do this class after every long run.

I also did an oddly powerful upper body strength session.

Went up to 100lb flat bench dumbbells x 7 reps.

50 x 25
80 x 13
100 x 7
80 x 8

Flat barbell 135 through failure

Also did a back pulldown drop set and dumbbell pullovers. I think it was all the extra carbs in my system fueling this! Went up and over 200g protein and kept carbs very low. I feel the need to “detox” from the carb loading for at least a day after the long runs.

8/16

5 mile / 10,000 step hike. Some jogging uphill but mostly just Zone 2 walking and mind clearing. Later in the afternoon I did an arms training session. All in all, recovery from the 17.5 miler was not a problem. I’ll get back on the road Sunday aiming to do between 7-10 miles faster than I’ve run yet.

8/17

Deadly squat strength day. Took 225 to a new PR of 21 clean reps:

Followed this with some wall sit sets 2x max time 1min+

I hit lengthy hex bar shrugs sets 140 x 30 190x17 230 x 15

That’s it. Perfect

8/18

6 mile maintenance run. I was aiming for 10 but I literally got stormed off the road. I began the run with a light rain and just intensified to the point of no visibility.

Hit a 70 minute Bikram class later that PM for some leg active recovery.

8/19

5 mile / 10,000 step hike with light uphill jogging. Staying in zone 2 and the theme of this Summer continued… I got rained out. After the devastating floods very close to home I couldn’t complain even a tiny bit.

Followed this in the PW with a short powerful arms sequence.

I did lengthy sets of close-grip flat bench:
135x16
135x18
95 until absolute failure
Pushdowns with straight bar, ropes and finished on floor.

Began biceps with iso pullup hold for 40 seconds
Alternating biceps curls 20x15 25x12 30x10
Biceps pulldowns 50lbs until failure
Bands til failure

I am recording this sequence very soon, it’s fast, powerful and uses compound exercises to maximize time. 30 min max, get it done.

8/20
Bikram 70 minutes in 110 degrees, again. Boring and repetitive? Yes and I love it.

8/21

Did a solid upper body strength session. Nice and heavy working up to 100lb flat dumbbells x 7 reps. No records just maintaining this muscle through marathon training!

8/22
strava1635190702835216266

Hit a 1/2 marathon this am. Something amazing happened. IT WAS COOL OUT! This is the 1st run I’ve had without being soaked head to toe in months. I really miss it and glad it’s back.

I didn’t do any carb loading for this run I just ate:

1 tbs honey
1 banana
1/4 cup unsweetened 365 o’s
3 Skratch Labs energy chews

Felt great!

8/23

60 min Bikram yoga class in 110 degrees, again! Active recovery is real. I want to point out throughout this training I sustained 0 pulls, strains or issues. I attribute that to active recovery and nutrition.

8/24

I did a solid upper body strength session including:
Incline dumbells 50 x 15, 75 x 10, 85 x 4, 100 x 6
One Bring Sally Up
Hex bar shrugs 140 x 30, 190 x 17, 270 x 8
Iso pullup hangs
Nasty tricep dropset

4a2c93f9-18f8-4987-8fb6-ad29aaed6977

Then, for the 1st time went to an NFL game. So the rest of the day was spent walking a ton, playing football catch with my 6 year old, walking more and having a blast. I ended up putting in 4 miles or so just walking around all day.

8/25

Completely wiped from the Jets/Giants game just hit a low key strength session with weights, bodyweight and stretches. Acknowledging that sometimes, rest is needed. Began prep for a loner run on a Monday, which is odd for me. However, going forward my long runs will always have to be on a weekday through the marathon so a new schedule just started out of nowhere. Kids school, kids football on Sundays, other weekend obligations - a shift was needed.

With that said I made my homemade granola and prepped for the longer run.

8/26

Hit another half!

1/2 marathon is my new default training run. I did one on 8/22 - 4 days ago. For me and I think for most humans, 13 miles is a good place to train for distance. For me it’s the breaking point of where things get really hectic with my body, hydration, sustaining, sweating (Summer training). Anything beyond 13 requires so much more attention and prep.

At this point I’m in very good condition and have worked so hard to maintain (and build) muscle, lose fat, gain endurance and avoid injury. One day I’ll look back on being 49 (almost 50) and wish I was this strong again. It’s so much work but it feels incredible.

8/27

Kids back to school and my little guy has football, so schedules have to change. I kicked off the day with an am walk. But I didn’t take any time, I made coffee and took it with me and walked under the stars with my chest light at 4:55am.

I’ll do this from now on on days I know I’m not doing run or hike. Just under 2 miles, it was a great start to the day.

Later in the early PM to take a computer break I did a moderate strength session. Nothing very notable except working up to a set of flat dumbbells: 75 x 14 reps with a drop to 50 x failure.

Feeling great, just a bit fatigued from the 1/2 marathon but really not a big deal.

I ate more than normal today for recovery really amplifying my protein to around 250g. Carbs around 180g and fats on the lower side. Around 2600 on the day which for me is about 600 more than normal. I just felt it necessary for repair.

header-fall

Intuitive Interval Training for Increasing Distance Run Speed.

Intervals can be very programmatic or, as I prefer, more intuitive. Intervals can be good for any level of runner including absolute beginners.

I will use a very intuitive method called “Fartlek”. The name is pretty funny see what it means below. Apparently “fart” in Swedish means speed :nerd_face:

The term “fartlek” comes from the Swedish language and literally means “speed play” (“fart” meaning speed and “lek” meaning play). It was developed in Sweden in the 1930s by coach Gösta Holmér as a way to break up the monotony of traditional interval training and to make running more enjoyable while still incorporating the benefits of speed work.

Holmér created fartlek training to improve the performance of Swedish cross-country runners, who were struggling against the Finns at the time. His method involved alternating between periods of fast running and slower recovery runs, but without any strict rules about the duration or intensity of these intervals. This approach allowed runners to train more intuitively, listening to their bodies and adjusting their effort based on how they felt.

Fartlek training quickly became popular because it was versatile, adaptable to any fitness level, and could be done anywhere—on trails, roads, or tracks—making it an effective training method for runners of all abilities.

Key Features of Fartlek Training:

1. Unstructured Intervals: Unlike traditional interval training, where the duration and intensity of the intervals are predetermined, fartlek allows you to choose when to speed up and slow down based on how you feel.
  2. Varied Pacing: You can incorporate short bursts of speed, moderate-paced segments, and easy jogging all within the same run, allowing for a dynamic workout that adapts to your energy levels.
  3. Improves Both Speed and Endurance: Fartlek training challenges your aerobic and anaerobic systems, making it an effective way to build both speed and endurance.
  4. Mental Flexibility: It keeps your mind engaged, as you’re constantly adjusting your pace, which can make the workout more enjoyable and less monotonous.

Example of Fartlek in a Long Run:

• Start with an Easy Warm-Up: 2-3 miles at a relaxed pace.
  • Incorporate Fartlek Play: During the main portion of your run (10-15 miles), pick up the pace to a faster effort (e.g., race pace or faster) for random distances or landmarks—like from one tree to the next, or for the duration of a song if you’re listening to music—then return to an easy jog.
  • Cool Down: Finish the last 2-3 miles at an easy pace.

Fartlek training is inherently intuitive because it allows you to adjust the workout based on how you feel, making it a versatile and effective method for improving your running performance.

Can this be applied to a beginner runner?

Yes, fartlek training can definitely be applied to a beginner runner, and it can be a very effective and enjoyable way to introduce speed work without the rigidity of traditional intervals.

How Fartlek Training Benefits Beginners:

1. Flexibility: Fartlek is less structured, so beginners can adjust the intensity and duration of their faster segments based on how they feel, reducing the risk of overexertion.
  2. Gradual Introduction to Speed Work: It allows beginners to ease into speed training without the pressure of hitting specific paces or distances, making it less intimidating.
  3. Improves Running Economy: By varying the pace, beginners can start to develop better running mechanics and efficiency without overwhelming themselves.
  4. Engagement: The playful nature of fartlek can make running more interesting, which is crucial for keeping beginners motivated and consistent.

Fartlek Training for Beginners:

1. Start with a Warm-Up: 5-10 minutes of easy jogging to get the body warmed up.
  2. Introduce Short Bursts:
  • During a 20-30 minute run, after warming up, introduce 4-6 short bursts of faster running (e.g., 20-30 seconds), followed by a return to an easy jog for 1-2 minutes.
  • The pace for the faster segments can be just slightly faster than the runner’s usual pace, and the duration can be adjusted based on how they feel.
  1. Use Landmarks: Beginners can use visual cues like lampposts, trees, or blocks as markers for when to speed up and slow down.
  2. Cool Down: Finish with another 5-10 minutes of easy jogging to help the body recover.
  3. Frequency: Start with one fartlek session per week, gradually increasing the number of faster segments or the duration of the run as fitness improves.

Example for a Beginner:

• Warm-Up: 10 minutes of easy jogging.
  • Fartlek Play: 20 minutes total, with 4 bursts of 30 seconds at a faster pace, interspersed with 2-3 minutes of easy jogging.
  • Cool Down: 10 minutes of easy jogging.

By keeping the sessions light and enjoyable, beginners can build their speed and endurance gradually, making fartlek a great introduction to more structured training down the line.

8/28

Bodyweight Leg Day: 700 air squats in a row. 20 minutes straight with just 3 easy warmup sets of 10 x 10 x 20 reps. I hope that was the last swampy day of the season. I did this around midway through a 3.5 mile hike.

Each rep, whether fast or slow was done between 90 degrees and parallel. I have been doing barbell squats the last 3 weeks so this was a total shock to my legs.

Performing a 20-minute air squat set of 700 reps while maintaining a range of motion between 90 degrees and parallel provides targeted endurance, strength, and stability benefits without overloading the joints. This controlled movement optimizes muscle engagement and supports marathon training by enhancing key aspects of running performance.

Benefits for Distance Running:

1. Reduced Joint Stress: Limiting the squat depth to between 90 degrees and parallel minimizes stress on the knees and hips, reducing the risk of injury while still effectively engaging the lower body muscles.

2. Targeted Muscle Engagement: This squat depth emphasizes the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes, which are crucial for maintaining running form and power during a marathon.

3. Improved Muscular Endurance: High repetitions at this depth build endurance in the key running muscles, helping you sustain effort over long distances without fatiguing prematurely.

4. Enhanced Running Economy: Strengthening the muscles within this specific range improves running efficiency, as these are the same muscles used during the stride cycle, especially in maintaining proper form when fatigued.

5. Core Stability: The consistent depth requires core activation to maintain proper posture, which is essential for maintaining form during long runs.

6. Injury Prevention: By not going past parallel, the risk of overuse injuries is reduced, which is particularly beneficial for marathon runners who already place significant stress on their joints.

7. Increased Lactate Threshold: This controlled movement helps improve your ability to manage and clear lactate, allowing you to sustain higher intensities during your runs.

8. Mental Resilience: Completing such a demanding set builds mental toughness, which is critical for pushing through the challenging phases of a marathon.

8/29

Legs literally SMASHED. Hit a wake up walk (new habit) and a 70 minute 110 degree bikram yoga class.

It’s amazing to me what you can do with no weights.

To repair and recover from this “trauma” I will amplify protein the next several days as well. 200-250 a day.

8/30-8/31

AM Zone 2 walk 8000 steps
PM Upper body strength session

Interesting strength session in the PM 8/30.

I hit a new PR of 80lb flat dumbbells for 14 clean reps. This is 3x my abilities going back to the start of COVID when I really began to get back into lifting. I have a recorded video of me doing 80’s for 5 and at the time, I was blown away by it. I just can’t believe at almost 50 years old during marathon training, that this is possible!

Keep at it!