MikeB "bulking/muscle building" training log Feb 14-Mar 15 2024 - 1 Month Snapshot

3/6

WAKE UP - 4:30am

AM RUN - 5:45 - 6:45am
Ran 7 miles, around 10,500 steps and burn about 1000 calories. I also did it fasted with my last meal being at around 5pm yesterday. Temp was perfect. 45, light breeze. There is no better feeling for me than doing a fasted run early in the day before everything starts. (I know how crazy this sounds) I wish I could do it every day but it would be overkill.

As Spring gets closer and the amount of gear needed to get out early starts to lessen, I’ll be back at early outdoor cardio more. It’s hard in Jan/Feb in CT with ice, snow, total darkness, lower than humanly acceptable temps.

3/7

Did my normal wake-up yoga

AM ACTIVE RECOVERY WORKOUT - 8:50-9:50am

“Bikram” or 26 + 2 Modified
Did a 60 minute modified version of this class in around 110 degrees with high humidity. Here is the Bikram class I follow, and that I did today:

Did the Bring Sally Up challenge later in the afternoon. Tomorrow I plan to smash legs with air squats on a 5-7 mile hike. I feel very cooped up this week because of the weather.

3/8

AM HIKE - 7:35-9:05am
Did 8 sets of air-squats: 25, 25, 315, 85, 50, 50, 100, 100 (800 total) and around 11000 steps over 6 miles or so. Powerful.

That set of 315 in a row was my PR. I keep edging it up. I feel I could have gone 350, maybe even 400. I’ll try that next time out there.

That one set took like 10 or 11 minutes straight. This is a video from Fall when I just started to hit 200+ in a row.

I swear this is why I can run 1/2 marathons with very little problem.

3/9

WAKE UP - 4:00am

AM Heavy Weight Session - 7:00-8:00am

New PR: 105lb Flat x5 with Ironmaster Adjustable Dumbbells

Ever since I started training with these dumbbells and eating more “carnivore” my gains have been steady and significant. 3 or 4 years ago 105’s would have crushed me!

In this workout I focused on a heavy flat set. I warmed up with:
50x15
50x10
75x6
90x3

Final set:
105 x 5 CLEAN

I followed this with a flat barbell dropset:
185 x 8, 135 x 8, 95 until failure

3/10

WAKE UP - 4:00am

AM 1/2 Marathon Run - 8am-10am

Soaked feet, cold, windy, done! Unplanned 1/2 marathon on a Sunday morning.

My feet got wet in the 2nd mile. That’s really annoying but I sucked it up and sloshed though. I ended up with a considerable blister because of it but still was able to complete it without any muscle or joint issues, so a blister is no big deal, it will heal! But man do I hate running with wet feet. There were puddles, mud and wet ground everywhere.

strava7196314236384751117

3/11

AM ACTIVE RECOVERY WORKOUT - 8:30-9:30am

Generally I will do Bikram/Hot Yoga the day after a long run and will do little walking, lower body movement otherwise. I really believe it’s a key to prevent injuries. 49.5 and I run a 1/2 marathon every month for well over a year now. Proper fueling, refueling and active recovery.

Did a 60 minute modified version of this class in around 110 degrees with high humidity. Here is the Bikram class I follow, and that I did today:

PM Weights No Repeat Light Sets 1:30-2:10pm
25 Dips (new PR)
Bring Sally Up challenge 3.5 “rounds”
Flat Barbell Light 95lbs 25 reps
Pullup Hold 32 seconds
Pulldowns x 4 sets for back
Iso Bicep Pulldowns x2
Triceps drop set from pushdowns, ropes and small dumbbells

3/12

Short powerful strength session:
Incline barbell maxed at 185 x 8, tie for PR. Drop set with 50’s.
warmups: 95x20, 135x10, 155x4

1 iso pullup hold 38 seconds
3 sets pulldowns with close grip
1 set shrugs 135x28
1 set deadlifts 185x10

“Zone 2” 9000 steps with a 45lb vest. First signs of Spring are everywhere, still cold as hell this am but it’s close!

SQ-hike20240312_093204

3/13

7:30-8:50AM

(Final)Ken Savio.00_03_58_24.Still001

3 mile hike (6000 steps) + 750 air squats. I broke the air squats into 9 sets with these reps per set:

• 400 (new PR took like 12-14 min straight ugh)

And, I did every set with a very light stick:

My next time squatting will be barbell. I like to do barbell at least 2x per month. My body was still a little weakened by my 1/2 marathon Sunday, so I didn’t want to mess around with heavy weight today and risk injury.

PM MICROWORKOUT AT DESK - 1:00-1:10pm

3/14

5:45-6:45AM 7 mile road run.

The time change made it pitch black again, but the sun was just starting to rise as I ended. I do my early AM runs with a light on, which I also cannot stand to wear. But these farm roads are really dark.

I don’t know why, but my runs are always best if I get out in the first hour I’m up and fasted. I do make sure the day before to properly fuel the run. I can say with certainty, though, that eating a meal of any kind right before bed when I have an early run is never as good as if I eat it at like 5 PM and let it digest. This may even include a couple of high-quality beers if I’m going over 10 miles the next day.

I’ll be starting a food log soon as well.

1 MONTH DOCUMENTING COMPLETE!

3/15

AM ACTIVE RECOVERY WORKOUT - 7:35-8:35am

Generally I will do Bikram/Hot Yoga the day after a long run and will do little walking, lower body movement otherwise. I really believe it’s a key to prevent injuries. 49.5 and I run a 1/2 marathon every month for well over a year now. Proper fueling, refueling and active recovery.

This was a snapshot of my day to day for one month. It included a vacation, 1/2 marathon, multiple PR’s and lots of recovery. You will see a general pattern of how I train “hybrid”. I do my best to do well at gaining strength, endurance runs and staying flexible. I also do a lot of active recovery work.

I don’t think you should do what I do. I think maybe from what I do you can find some inspiration, a new perspective, some new moves, insight etc. That’s what I do.

I incorporate weights, running, walking, calisthenics, weighted walking, hiking, sprinting, and yoga into my workouts.

I posted my daily workouts and general movement so anyone can see what I’m doing regularly. I deliberately did not mention diet/food here.

I want to note as you look at my activity that **I did not lose or gain significant weight on the scale but I did break several personal records for endurance and strength in this time period. I wasn’t trying to lose weight I was just trying to gain muscle and strength while maintaining “waist size”.

Ask me anything, I’m happy to help if I can.